Friday, October 17, 2008

Happy Birthday James!

Last weekend we celebrated another milestone in our family. James turned 33! He got to enjoy some golf with a friend on Saturday morning. Then he got an early birthday present as Texas won the Red River Shoot-out in a really awesome game. We went to CW's (one of our favorites) for dinner on Saturday night to use our free dinner coupon and some cheap wings. If you go before 5:30 you can get 25 wings for less than $6.50! James gets about 4 meals out of each order. Definitely worth the money. The girls also got some more "sticky geckos" (a favor they give to kids). We had a nice dinner and James even got a free dessert.

On Sunday we went to church. They were having the grand opening celebration for the new student ministries center so there were only two services as opposed to the usual four. We were planning on being there for both services even though there were no ABFs since James was working in the nursery. We went to the first service and then James went to the nursery while I went to the church library to work on my Bible study. About 40 minutes later, just as the sermon in the second service was beginning, all of a sudden everything went dark. The power had gone off in the church! It was pretty crazy. They managed to have the rest of the service. I guess that the speaker used a blowhorn to give the rest of the sermon! We wanted to go out to lunch, but it turned out that the whole north end was out of power so all those restaurants were closed. We ended up going to Farmer Boy for James' birthday lunch. Not exactly gourmet dining, but it was food.

After we got home we enjoyed a family walk followed by cake and ice cream. I must digress a little here to tell you about James' birthday cake. We met nine years ago October 5. I made him a cake the following week for his birthday. I made up the recipe that night and he loved it so much that I have made it every year since. It is a white cake with a mixed berry filling between the layers and covered with cream cheese frosting. I only make it for his birthday and he won't let me alter it. The only thing that changes each year is how it is decorated. This year I was going to do a Cubs theme, but then they went and lost in the first round of the playoffs so I didn't want to depress James any further. Therefore I decided to do a Cowboys theme. James loved it. It wasn't so great when the Cowboys lost a few hours later, but the cake was still good. I think that he had a really good birthday!


The Cake

The girls and their dad

Blowing out the candles

No comments: